Thursday, December 5, 2013

Art Exhibits Reviews



Eric Franklin
Art 245
Peter Whittenberger
Art Papers 1-3

Found in Lost
            I recently went to the art exhibit called “Found In Lost” by Heeseop Yoon. The art exhibit was interesting. The exhibit itself was and empty space with what I thought was drawings, but before reading the artist’s statement, I thought the art was drawing where I could see some recognizable items, Here’s what Heeseop’s statement is:
            “My work deals with memory and perception within cluttered spaces. I begin by photographing interiors such as basements, workshops, and storages spaces, places where everything is jumbled and time becomes ambiguous without the presence of people. From these photographs I construct a view and then I draw freehand without erasing. As I correct “mistakes” the work results in double or multiple lines, which reflect how my perception has changed over time and makes me question my initial perception. Paradoxically, greater concentration and more lines make the drawn objects less clear. The more I see, the less I believe in the accuracy or reality of the images I draw.”
            After reading the statement and looking around, it all made sense. Instead of being clutter, it was clear and opened while being clutter on the wall. It was a good choice and I thought the artist execution was good. I thought it was a good piece, showing how for some, keep things is a way to remember memories and to show what happens when someone has too many thing, and doesn’t organize them.

Globally Stoned
The art show I went to was call “Globally Stoned” by L. Boles Yazzie. This was hosted at our University’s Art Exhibit. Before I read the artist statement, I saw some well recognized paintings, however they were alternated with modern day icons or with a modern twist. I looked around at first and was pretty interested. I went to go read the statement meant and here is what he say:
            At first glance, my paintings seem like “art about art.” They also look like a formal study about copying. In fact it is through this means that I investigate the mechanics of appropriation and reproduction. I am interested in directing the viewer’s eye towards the same process. Additionally, allegory, pun, and irony used to create subtle commentary on the human condition the commentary be controversial in nature and sometimes lighthearted. A background in social work in sociology fuels my interest in the micro and macros dynamics of human nature as it pertains to historical and contemporary issues. Globally Stoned is inspire by a conceptual traditions. Appropriation and copying gestures are precursors of contemporary economic, political religious and cross cultural identity. My work represents a shift in today’s cultural milieu where we can’t look at appropriation with our looking through the lens of globalization and how it is responsible for the subtle erosion of indigenous societies.
After reading the statement, I looked at the paintings and see what the artist was talking about.  He took some iconic paintings and sculptures and added a modern culture to them. For some pieces, I really like the Goddess Snake figure next to a Ms. Buttersworth syrup bottle. It adds a look into what figures was like in the past verses and what people worship to an advertised product that people recognize. Over all I think the exhibit was well done and the pieces were easy enough to catch attention to people to recognizes. Here is a video of me looking at the exhibit and my thoughts more.



(A) Muse 3D: Model

So today I visit the art gallery (A) Muse. It was a large collaboration of 5 different artist with different types of pieces. The sculptures and pictures were a nice combinations of the whole exhibit.
I think my favorite piece was the rabbit one done by Rebekah Bogard. It was a wonderland type with two creatures with one pulling on its tail. The description talked about the interactions with creatures and humans interactions and how the bravery of one can achieve. I liked the design and the presentation of the sculptures. The plants at first I thought looked realistic and soft, but when I touched the plants, they were hard and ceramic. I have to say Rebekah did a fantastic job on the piece and my favorite of the exhibit. My least favorite piece was one called “Salt and Light” by Jeffrey Erickson. It was six photos of a desert with some salt in different lighting and positions. I didn’t see what the artist was going for even after I read the statement. He said that he was going for when salt touched the light. I couldn’t see the concept, but that’s just me. One of picture that I did see made since to me. It looked like what he was going for, but it looked like a landscape   picture that you find in a magazine.  The other pieces of art were nice to the exhibit too.

Overall I think the exhibit was a nice touch to show the different types of 3D pieces and artists’ styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment