Monday, May 11, 2015

Artist Talk 2



Artist talk
Eric Franklin
Clint Sleeper
4/16/15


Tehching Hsieh-One Year Performances
            I went to see Tehching Hsieh lecture about his life works “One year performances”. It was quite intriguing to listen to his lecture and show us his works. Most of his works took over a year to do. The first work he showed was his one year in a “jail” cell.  He talked about how he made a little path with in the cell and described it as “a path to work and his bed was home.” He kept makings on the walls to keep tabs on what day it was. His “Time Clock” piece was the most interested one.  The piece was that he had to clock every hour on the hour for one year. So doing the math, (365 days x 24 hours) equals about 8,760 times he punched the time clock. Holy cow that is insanity. However I felt like that piece was very powerful. How people spent their time going through the same thing over and over and over again in their life. It was also interesting that Tehching talked about time and how valuable it we must use our time. I completely agree with his statement. Time is very important to everyone’s life and must be used wisely.  The rest of his lecture was pretty well done too. His outdoors piece was well done too along with his rope piece where he and one other person were tied together for a whole year and must do everything together. I could never do that because I love having my own space and my own piece of mind.
            Overall I feel this lecture was great and something to take away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment